To be eligible for membership in Everett Mountain Rescue you need to be:
- A competent mountaineer (at least 3 years of mountaineering / climbing experience, beyond classes or guided trips.)
- Prepared to make a significant time commitment
- Necessary skills include, but are not limited to, safely able to travel on glaciated and low fifth class alpine terrain. These skills can be found from reputable organizations such as the Washington Alpine Club, BOEALPS, and The Mountaineers
- 18 or older (under 18 please see our Explorer SAR unit)
- Able to pass a background check by the Snohomish County Sherriff’s Office
The time commitment is not trivial. As a prospective member, you need to attend three of our monthly meetings. This will give you a chance to meet members and give us a chance to talk to you. To maintain active status, we expect members to respond 4 missions (or 4 duty days) and do 4 hours of training and 4 hours of rigging each year. Missions often come at the most inopportune times — a rainy Sunday evening just as your about to eat dinner is pretty typical.
The EMRU board reviews applications twice a year in January and July. If you are interested in joining EMR please come to one of our meetings to learn more or email us at email@example.com. Our Membership Chair will provide additional information, including the application form. Applicants must also include two references when they submit their application.